Chef Pat Marone treated the Locust Valley Library Seniors to his delicious Penne ala Cognac with Sausage and Mushrooms. The cooking demonstration was a hit. More importantly, everyone loved the tasting! Thanks, Chef Pat!
Chef Pat’s Penne alla Cognac with Sausage & Mushrooms
Penne Pasta with Hot Sausage, Mushrooms and Shallots in a Creamy Tomato Cognac Sauce
- 1 Pound Penne Pasta, cooked al dente
- 6 Three ounce Sausage Links
- 2 Cups Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Shallots, diced
- 4 Cups Pomodoro Sauce
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Cognac or Brandy
- 1 Bunch of Basil, chiffonade
- 2 Ounces of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ½ Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- In a large sauce pan over medium high heat, add olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add diced shallots and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Remove sausage from casing, add to sauce pan and cook for about 8 – 10 minutes until browned.
- Add mushrooms, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pull pan off flame and add Cognac
- Carefully place pan back on flame and shake to stir the shallots, sausage and mushrooms.
- Add pomodoro sauce, heavy cream, basil and salt.
- Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- Add penne and stir into Sauce. Add grated pecorino romano cheese, toss and plate. Garnish with basil leaves.
Plate up and enjoy!
Prep time = 10 minutes
Cook time = 30 minutes
Ready in = 40 minutes
Serving = 4